|FUNCTION: Probably involved in redox regulation of the cell. Regulates the activation of NF-kappa-B in the cytosol by a modulation of I-kappa-B-alpha phosphorylation.
* SUBUNIT: Homodimer or heterodimer with PRDX1; disulfide-linked, upon oxidation (By similarity).
* SUBCELLULAR LOCATION: Cytoplasmic.
* MISCELLANEOUS: The active site is the redox-active Cys-124 oxidized to Cys-SOH. Cys-SOH rapidly reacts with Cys-245-SH of the other subunit to form an intermolecular disulfide with a concomitant homodimer formation. The enzyme may be subsequently regenerated by reduction of the disulfide by thioredoxin.
* MISCELLANEOUS: Irreversibly inactived by overoxidation of Cys-124 (to Cys-SO3H) upon oxidative stress.
* SIMILARITY: BELONGS TO THE AHPC/TSA FAMILY.
Last Update 13-Mar-03