|FUNCTION: Involved in redox regulation of the cell. Protects radical-sensitive enzymes from oxidative damage by a radical-generating system.
* SUBUNIT: Homodimer; disulfide-linked, upon oxidation (By similarity).
* SUBCELLULAR LOCATION: Mitochondrial.
* MISCELLANEOUS: The active site is the redox-active Cys-108 oxidized to Cys-SOH. Cys-SOH rapidly reacts with Cys-229-SH of the other subunit to form an intermolecular disulfide with a concomitant homodimer formation. The enzyme may be subsequently regenerated by reduction of the disulfide by thioredoxin.
* MISCELLANEOUS: Irreversibly inactived by overoxidation of Cys-108 (to Cys-SO3H) upon oxidative stress.
* SIMILARITY: BELONGS TO THE AHPC/TSA FAMILY.
Last Update 13-Mar-03